- Stop using your USB thumb, external hard drive, memory card or any other external data storage device as soon as you realize that you have deleted some files by mistake or once you notice an unexpected data loss from it. In particular, do not install / launch / use new or existing programs from the device, and don’t copy nor save any files to the affected storage. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting your lost data overwritten.
- If your external storage device has been damaged mechanically, do not try to repair it yourself unless you are a professional with appropriate skills. Note that the majority of fixing “tricks” that you could find on the Internet are at best useless and in the worst case could add fuel to the fire. So, if your device is physically broken, you’d better hurry to a data recovery center.
- Do not fix the logical errors detected by the OS. Most users just click OK on the error popup and let the system make all the necessary corrections. But please avoid fixing any logical error on your external storage device before its files are recovered, as it might lower the chances of successful data recovery.
- Remember to check the connection of an external storage: all the cables should be operating and firmly attached both to the device and to the computer (and in case of a 3,5″ HDD, you should also check the power supply unit and its cable). If your PC does not detect a drive, try using another USB port or cable. If this doesn’t help, make sure your operating system has all the necessary drivers.
- Do not forget to use the safe removal option when unplugging all types of USB-connected drives and do not eject such a device before the writing/deleting procedure is completed, as it may cause data loss or corruption.
- Do not save recovered files to the data storage they are being restored from. That may result in an irreversible data loss.
At last, please pay attention to the trial version limitations: the software will restore all the data that could be recovered, but it won’t let you save a file that exceeds a specified size limit. Check this information at the software page. You should buy and activate a license in order to save any number of files regardless of their sizes.